Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Mamma Mia! Dubai

I have a dream, a song to sing...



Yesterday, we took all the kids to a 4 pm matinee showing of Mamma Mia! (the musical) in Dubai.  This has been one of Little A's favorite movies, since we took her to the Stars and Strollers viewing, at Kingsway Mall, in 2008.  She couldn't walk yet, and I remember having to sit with her on the stairs, holding her up so she could bounce to all the music.  As she grew older, the movie quickly became one of her favourites, and she shared her love with Pickle and Magoo.  We were very excited when we found out about it from our friend Linda (who, as I come to think about it, seems to always be 'in the know' as far as the goings on around here).

We spent the morning running around, doing errands.  Peter is making a bed (I kid you not) for Ms. Zoila--she is Pickle's TA at school, and she is going to live in our second maid's room.  However, we need a custom bed, as the room is too small for any pre-fab bed to fit.  It is shameful--truly, how small the rooms are (Malou has the bigger one), but she has seen the space, and is really looking forward to reducing her commute to work (she currently rents a 'bed-space'--translation:  one bed out of six bunks--on the island, and commutes over an hour each way, by bus).  She is such a positive and lovely lady, and we wanted to help her out.  Our main concern is that Malou will be okay with a room-mate, and since Malou is the one who suggested the idea, I think she is interested in making a connection.  I am  hopeful they will be a good match (and that Zoila will guide Malou out of her current drama:  the American soldier).

While we were in IKEA, Peter found a mattress, and I found a lovely piece of lace fabric (for 21 aed--about $7).  Since we were going to Mamma Mia--I thought that the lace would make gorgeous wedding veils for the girls (who wanted to dress like Sophie).  We already decided that Pickle would get to wear my Mamma Mia t-shirt (the one I got when the musical came to Jubilee Auditorium--possibly in 2006).  SIDE NOTE:  to my husband who I love so much, and who bought us all tickets to go--I did not LOVE your comment asking when I was small enough to ever fit the t-shirt.  Ask Pussy-cat video uncle--I am sure he remembers that I used to fit that t-shirt...

I digress--so, Pickle got the Mamma Mia official t-shirt, and the girls felt a bit down (I only had ONE shirt), so I thought the lace (curtain?) would cheer them up.


They seem pretty happy, don't they?
They loved their veils (even though they kept falling off their heads, because I had them attached with clips), and I had so much leftover, that I added long skirts to their dresses.  Magoo said to me afterwards, "My dress was prettier than Sophie's".




We had great seats (Platinum section) but because we were on the floor it was hard for shorter people to see (which was pretty much all of us except Peter).  Magoo and I had a little window between two ladies heads, and Little A sat on daddy's lap.  Pickle seemed content with his view (and sometimes he seemed more interested in opening and closing the chair beside him), he was dancing and clapping at appropriate times, so we let him enjoy.  

What can I say about Mamma Mia! that hasn't been said before?  Not much.  It was an amazing experience, we all loved it (even Magoo, who kept her ears plugged the entire time because it was too loud).  We were all very tired, and hungry as we faced our 90 minute drive back to Abu Dhabi (did I mention there was school tomorrow?), our saving grace was the cd we purchased from the Merchandise Vendors.  That, and the cheese sandwiches and bananas that were packed for the kids to eat.  

I love the music, the musical and the movie, and I feel so lucky to be able to share it with my kids.  I look forward to taking them again (when they are older), maybe in New York (Magoo tells me knows New York, because that is where Giselle lands when she falls down the well, in Enchanted).  I loved watching all the kids dance it out at the end, when the cast came out for "you want another one??", and I loved hearing them sing down the halls as we walked back to our car.

I am also grateful to have a new CD to listen to over and over again in my car (because I am so tired of Lion King!).

ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NOTE OF THANKFULNESS:

I am also so grateful for all of our friends who send Christmas wishes (the old-fashioned way) every year.  A visit to the post-office box yesterday, yielded most of these treasures--we love the collection of Christmas cards that we receive every year (no matter when they arrive).  Thank-you so much for taking the time to send them to us--we treasure them!  
 
our treasures




No comments: