Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Monday, February 22, 2016

Maggi

It is no secret that my daughters are big fans of Maggi--a salty, brown seasoning sauce, with no nutritional value.  I had always assumed it was Chinese in origin (which Peter will tell you is because I am a racist--but is actually due to the fact that Peter introduced the concept of Maggi to me like it was his own family's secret blend of 11 herbs and spices (especially when you dip white bread in it)).  I think Peter was just as surprised as I to discover that Maggi seasoning has its roots in Switzerland.

Little A's love for Maggi (which we call "Maggi-dip" around here, as our girls love to dip everything in it) is so strong that it was her number one choice to name both of her siblings.  Maggi has travelled with us on so many vacations--and Steiner--once again, I am sorry for the very pungent maggi momento we left in your van two years ago and I hope the smell has faded!

A toast...

Yesterday as we were walking back from the Ozzie vet's to Kids First (where kids have to walk in the doors first, hence the name), Magoo told me that she knows how to say 'noodles' in "Indian" (Hindi to be more specific).  I asked her to share with me, and as I racked my brains to think how to translate noodles myself, she informs me that it is "Maggi".

Ho-ho-ho!

I told her that she was mistaken, and that was not the correct translation, to which she replied that I didn't know because I was not, in fact, Indian--YOU ARE A CANADIAN! Her friend (the same one who eats wojjy-tables) IS Indian, and so she most certainly knows better than I do.

Though it took the hamster in my head a little while to start spinning and figure out why 'maggi' would translate to 'noodles', I finally managed to impress Magoo (which is kind of like Maggi...so maybe little A indirectly got her wish) with my wisdom.  I explained that instant noodles come in many different BRANDS (Lucky Me--like Malou liked, Indo-me--which we bought when we couldn't find Lucky Me, and Ichiban--which is popular where we come from).  Maggi also makes a brand of instant noodles, which must be the one her friend's mom serves up in their household.

She eventually believed me, especially when I told her I would confirm with "Aunty Gopa" who is a REAL Indian (unlike me).

When I asked Gopa this morning (after she stopped having a laugh about "maggi' translating to "noodles"), she looked at me with her beautiful, big, maggi-coloured eyes and said "I don't know how we say noodles in India...I think we just call it 'noodles' (with an Indian accent of course)."

P.S.  I am SO not a racist.

No comments: