Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Friday in Dubai

I wasn't sure if we were going to go. Up until the 11th hour, I had told P that I thought A and I would stay at home. He gets frustrated when A gets 'fussy' at the Co-op...and I could only imagine the horrors of an hour long car-ride (each way) plus lunch on the go, and several ins and outs of the car-seat. "Patience" is only the name of an album by George Michael to P (did I mention I'm going to the concert on Dec 1?). However, P seemed so sad that we weren't going, that I acquiesced, and we boiled up some pasta (now A's favorite food...the only thing she will eat this week) and headed out to Dubai.

The ride out was easy. Our friend Peter M. drove us (as we were going to pick up our new car) and A fell asleep, waking up only when we were in Dubai, and driving along the Corniche. This is very different from the one in Abu Dhabi. You can definitely see how this particular area is more designed for function and revenue. There was a portion of the Corniche where you could still see old Dubai: the run-down buildings, and all the trading boats. I saw a man lift a huge bag of rice onto his back to carry it off the boat. Then there was the 'tourist' area. Little ferry boats, with captains calling out to you, offering you a ride, and parked barges that had been turned into restaurants on the water, where you could stop and dine on the sparkling Gulf. We stopped at Al Abra, and had some fresh fruit juice. P, A and I shared a mango drink. Next time, I'm having the coconut one though, as it is served in a coconut shell. So much more tropical.
After that, we headed over to the Dubai Mall. During our stay at the Millennium Hotel, I had read a magazine where they advertised the Aquarium, located in Dubai Mall (world's largest indoor aquarium). Personally, I am not a fan of zoos, and I didn't like the dolphins living at West Edmonton Mall. I prefer animals to live free, in their own world, undisturbed by man...but I must say, I was AMAZED. This display was just incredible. I have never seen anything like it.

First off, there is the portion that all mall-goers can enjoy: the large aquarium walls, that are two levels high. Then, you can pay 25 AED to go through the 'tunnel' (basically like scuba diving, but with your clothes on) OR you can pay 50 AED (less than $15 cdn) and go through the Discovery Centre on the upper level (where there are many more water animals) plus get 'express' access to the tunnel (this is the option we chose).
I don't have the words to describe the incredible things we saw (so I'll be adding pics). There were penguins, an otter, king crabs, SEALS...and so many more water creatures. A and I got to stick our head into a bubble inside a fish tank...it was so quiet (with the exception of all the screaming Indian kids also in the bubble). Sting rays, frogs, sea horses...jelly fish (black and white). WOW! We took so many great pictures (that I'm posting). My favourite though, is the video (which I will also try and post) of P and the shark. He's so INTO his new camera!!
After that, we picked up the new car (it's great...lots of power, and I drove it yesterday to the salon!!), had some McDonald's (just not the same without McChicken sauce...I'm banning it until we get back to Canada), and started off back home.
The ride from Dubai to our house (as we live in the 'burbs) is a little over an hour. It is pleasant. On the way home we took Emirates Road, and despite construction, we got home very quickly (just as quick as we arrived on the 'fast track' road). I can't wait to go again (for longer!). We'll wait until our housekeeper Rosemarie arrives, so we can do an overnight trip (and Phinn won't be all alone).



2 comments:

Raj said...

If I'm not mistaken isn't that the photographer from Jason Gerke's wedding in that video? He seemed much more on top of getting the top shots there then at the aquarium.

Anu Dhabi said...

You are correct. This guy is the same guy that was at the Gerke wedding in SF. He's still just practising his craft though...apparently he's preparing for the 'wedding of the century'...the 'Bal' nuptials...bride TBA...date TBA too.