Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

You can take the teacher out of the classroom...

...but no matter where I go...the 'teaching' instinct continues to thrive within me. I'm also so pleased to report that I've been having some success here with my newest students (yes ladies and gents...the lightbulbs are going off).
When we first got to our complex, I was a little put-off by the number of male Indian workers...they are everywhere, doing all of the menial tasks that must be done. Like all Indian men who have been raised in the motherland, they have the inherent 'staring problem' (which really must be forgiven...as I believe that it's a dominant gene on the Y chromosome). They aren't staring because I'm 'hot', or because I'm not...it's just part of their nature to stare.
So, I have taken it upon myself to help teach these men, my 'homeboys' (seriously...if my parents hadn't relocated us to Canada at such a young age, my brother might be one of these guys working hard for the money to send home...and staring) if you like, to turn their socially inappropriate staring, into something socially acceptable. The last few days, I've started harvesting the fruits of my labours.
It all started with a wave. I would walk in the mornings, little A and Phinn in tow, and as soon as one of the workers would stare our way, I would just smile and wave. I repeated this smile and wave for every worker, every time we went out. Even if we were driving...just a smile and a wave.
A few days ago, I was so proud, when one of these same men saw us coming, and actually waved to us FIRST!! Then, the other day, another one of my 'students' actually called out 'Goodmorning madam' and waved, before we even had a chance to see him there (he was down in a hole...turning off the fountain so that it could be cleaned).
Progress...it's a beautiful thing!
I've just come back from a Khalifa Ladies coffee morning at the Abu Dhabi Golf Club. It is so close to home, and I had the opportunity to meet several new ladies that live near by. The weather is 'hot' (little A's word), but there's a great breeze in the shade. Time to get some lunch and relax while my little one naps.
Malou (the housekeeper-formally-known-as-Rosemarie) is continuing to be hard-working and is fitting in well with our family. I'm starting to feel like this villa might be TOO SMALL for all of us...but I know in time, like many others over here...I will adjust. The pro's of having her here so outweigh the con's...I will just 'suck it up' (like I'm sure my friend Marci would suggest...though I know she would add a 'princess' to the end of it).

No comments: