Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Diwali Potpurri


First Writing


THE FOLLOWING WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ITS OWN POST--A FEW DAYS BACK:

I find myself always winding my way down to the water, while I wait for A to finish her ballet class.  The breeze here is amazing--complimented by the sounds of the waves plunking and thudding against the marina--almost like being on a boat!

The temperature, when you are out of the sun and in a breeze as I am now--perfect!

Today was a really busy day.  I checked out the services of the Capital Health Screening Centre--it is visa renewal time again!  I was very impressed with the new company--at every point it was much better than the original.  The location, next to the Al Jazira Stadium (tower a)--great--not in the heart of the city, for us suburbanites.  The parking lot--well--I accidentally parked in the bus lot, so I had a lot of extra space!  Up the elevator, greeted by staff who asked for my appointment number, and gave me a ticket (9064)--and then directed me to the ladies waiting area seats...which did have a few lads in them.  And some of the people forgot their deodorant that morning...but after about 10 minutes I was through to some more waiting...which was minimal.  As soon as I sat down and settled in to read my nook, I was called to get up into another line.  Blood test--check (bless the nurse for using the smallest needle she could find--at my request--and nailing it in on her first try!).  X-ray--check!  Good-bye!  I barely had time to read a thing!

Malou was surprised when I returned home before noon.  Ms. Magoo was very happy to wake up from her nap and find me home.  Door-to-door--in under two and a half hours --including 25 minutes driving time each way.  Much better than the experiences we have had in the past.  Not sure if making an appointment helped (mine was for 9:44)--but it seemed I was moving as fast as everyone else.  Way to go Abu Dhabi--good system improvement!

Today has been a busy day with a lot of in and out.  Out for visa process,  out to give A lunch dose of antibiotics, out to pick -up the pickle (who actually requested to go pee BEFORE we left the classroom--hurray!), out to help A transfer over to her ECP (fun with food) with minimal stress, out again to pick her up (where I ran into my friend Yeen who gifted me some of her most delicious scones!), and out again for ballet.  So--my eyes are burning a bit and I don't really want to do anything tonight.

Except just enjoy this breeze!

Above: Daddy's Famous Stuffing
Below:  Making Crust for Pumpkin Pie


I have been worried a lot lately...the big ones are ISIS and Ebola...what's a world supposed to do?  I wish I had a time machine so I could travel to the future and see how these things get resolved.


Dr. Ana and the cavity
Other little worries melted away a bit when I picked Pickle up from school today.  As we were walking to the car, I noticed that I had his hand in my left and he had Magoo's hand in his left--they were holding hands! They would let go, for one of them to push back a hat, or brush a hair out of their faces, and then reach naturally for one another again.  It was a sweet moment...a memory I want to keep...


Cutest cats!

BUT I DIDN'T FIND THE TIME TO POST IT!!

Instead, it comes to you along with my best wishes for Diwali--the festival of lights.  Lighting up all the darkness in our lives--vanquishing fear and hate--with love and light.  



Little things make little ones so happy--
Thanks Aunty Aumi!

After hunting around (in the car and on the phone), I feel so lucky to have finally found these boxes--coming right to my doorstep, through little A's classroom.  Every year they run out!!  THIS year we managed to participate!  All our little ones packed their own boxes (their own way).  This is a great way to teach the little ones to help out those who are less fortunate.





THIS, on the other hand, is NOT a great way to help out those who are less fortunate (though if you want to contribute, please send something to the number listed).  I never received anything like this when I was in Canada...does it happen now?




We will be heading out to the Peppermill tonight for a family Diwali dinner.  Abu Dhabi has disappointed me with their lack of child-friendly Diwali offerings this year.  The Indian Cultural Society has a function that begins at 8 pm...and none of the Indian restaurants are doing anything--SHAME!!
I am off to Lulu to do my part.  Looking for diyas to give out to A's classmates--teacher gifts have already been distributed.

Thanks Dharmvir!

With our rangoli 




No comments: