Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Enter the Year of the Dog (and one kitten)


We had a very festive and busy day yesterday, ringing in the Chinese New Year.  This year belongs to one of my favourite animals, the DOG!  Here are some pictures of my dogs, getting ready for bed.


We started our celebrations with our annual trip to the Shangrila hotel, for their Lion Dance.  It was exciting to discover that my new friend Francesca, is married to the new GM of our favourite hotel in Abu Dhabi (possibly the world??).  


Next year we have to practice our hand gestures when we wish our friend's happy new year.  I have missed this point in my children's education.  Note to self:  do better.



We rushed out after the dance, and had to miss out on the Shangrila's new addition of the "Prosperity Salad".  Apparently, the challenge is to toss the salad as high as you can.  Winner gets...the best year of her life...?


If the Pickle can do it--we can all do it.  Look at that amazing smile!  He was so excited to wear this hat with the accompanying braid!


We rushed home to complete the above cake (woof!). Please note the pink tongue made from meringue, and the nose inspired by Pickle's toy, Belle-Gaston.  It took a lot of restraint not to cry in frustration when Little A bumped her hand into the ear, and smeared it all flat!  Fortunately, I am a MacGyver sometimes--and I managed to deliver it to the party without anyone but my crew (who were impressed with my mad icing repair skills) finding out.



Looks like Karma had "prosperity salad" on the agenda for me today.  Though I missed it at the Shangrila, I found another waiting for me at our friends Iris and Raymond's place--and I believe I won the toss.  It was a beautiful preparation (look closely to see the dog made out of pomelo, with a grape nose and strawberry tongue).  P says that he identified my hands because of my poor chopsticking (not a word).  


It was so nice to spend some time with friends today.  We ran into Francesca (and her husband, Ulf, who is now Pickle's new best friend).  Ulf invited Pickle to help him paint the Lion's eyes at next year's Lion Dance...something I am pretty sure he thinks Pix will forget in 364 days....so obviously he doesn't know Pickle that well yet....

Iris had us bring an even number of oranges (and gave us an ODD number back by mistake--I am damn lucky I won the prosperity salad toss otherwise that mistake might have cost me the entire year!!).  Thus, another new tradition was acquired.

Next year--hand gestures, oranges and prosperity salad will join our CNY celebrations!!

We had one more event--the reunion walk--for Chewbacca with his former family.  We met at the kids' school, and walked together for an hour.  The family is lovely (they brought Chewbacca's human grandmother along) and they seemed relieved that he hadn't spent the last (almost) 3 years pining away.  It seems that he had forgotten them--though he did respond to some whistles and Spanish (who knew?).  My kids made eyes whenever they heard him called "Albert", "Albertino" or (their personal favourite) "Albertini".

Once home we were exhausted.  It was all I could do to stay awake long enough to put some food in my stomache.  We were all lights out by 9:30 PM.


Did you say something about a kitten.....?



I DID!!

Meet Jingle V. Belle (the "V" stands for Vivienne).  She showed up in our colony before Christmas, sick and on her last legs.  Little A brought her in, we took her to the vet (who gave us a look that said "this cat is going to die" but I will give you meds, bill you and send you home anyways), and nursed her back to health.  

On Sunday she started acting quiet and strange, not eating, and having diarrhea and vomitting.  On Tuesday she was diagnosed with the feline death sentence of Parvo-virus.  The vet gave us that look again (which we know well), the meds (and THE BILL) and told us the next "24-48 hours" would determine her fate.  

It was disturbing, and I confess to shedding more than my fair share of tears with the girls (Pickle is much more pragmatic).  When you read the research on Parvo, particularly for unvaccinated kittens--which Jingle is  (I am not an irresponsible pet owner--she is just in between serious illnesses), the odds are not great.

However, I made her a promise:  Live, and you'll have a home forever.  

Of course, she started recovering instantly....she is bony, and eating very little...but it is Saturday, and she is still alive and getting more so every day.

And a promise is a promise....


No comments: