Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Sunday, December 30, 2012

...and a Happy New Year

A's sunflowers

So...it seems that I missed the 'cut-off' for the annual Christmas update.  I always use my friend Sandra's annual Christmas email update as a 'gentle reminder' that it is time to get going and write-up my own.  This year, for reasons unknown, I have just not managed to get organized enough (or get enough time on the computer b/c typing on the iPad is awful) to send it out.  However, a "Happy New Year" note seems like a good substitute. I am going to do a joint blog/e-mail update, as it seems I have been neglectful in both areas. The pictures in this entry will only pick up where I left off in my blog (and actually do not correlate to the text in most cases).
Manolos

2012 has been a relatively good year for us in Abu Dhabi.  Though we have all aged a year (I have now reached that point where I am starting to get confused about my age, and have even found myself being the 'oldest woman in the room' at a party), we all still find ourselves in relatively good health.  Our children (now ages 5, 3 and 1-almost 2), keep us young, sleep-deprived, and very happy.  In October, we celebrated FOUR YEARS in Abu Dhabi (Peter celebrated in September, having arrived one month earlier than A and I).

Some of the highlights of our year include (not in any order of significance):

1.  Pickle got his first 'professional' haircut and his first prescription lenses.  He continues to have the longest lashes anyone has ever seen, which do in fact hit his glasses, and likely cause him to view the world through spider's legs.  He is the sweetest and happiest boy (with normal hearing in fact) and though he still has speech delays, his language has picked up a great deal.

A's last ballet class (mummy can't handle the crying anymore)

2.  My parents visited us in February.  We did a few days trips (mostly to Dubai) and they spent a lot of time enjoying their grandchildren.  Looking through our pictures makes me miss them very much.  Travelling here is very difficult for them (not just the visa process, but the actual travel) and though I would love to see them again, they will have to wait until I feel the desire to spend 20 hours in the air with my trio.

3.  Russell Peters came to town, and we went to see him.  We did manage to be the butt of one of his (old and often used) jokes.  It was good to get out and laugh with friends, though we were hoping for more 'new' material.  Russell has come very far from his days of being a stand-up comedian at Yuk-Yuk's 'multicultural night', where I had the pleasure of seeing him perform, so many years ago.  I think I paid about $12 for my ticket.

Pickle's dream-girl:  DORA

4. Seeing Elton John live in concert:  what an amazing and talented singer.  Epitomizes the difference between a 'performer' and an 'artist' (with him being the latter of course).

5.  Domo Arigato--Peter's trip to Japan:  not with me--lucky Ajay!

Peter decides it is time to get a bigger tree


6.  Madonna sucks:  (also titled "Seeing Madonna live in concert"):  Nobody can deny she is a great performer (though not very professional, as we waited almost three hours for the show to start).  After supporting and loving Madonna since my pre-teen years (much to the chagrin of my parents), it was a big disappointment and let-down.  Mom and Dad--you were right--Madonna DOES suck.

7.  Our trip to Paris:  C'est magnifique!  We all fell in love with Paris, and I would love to go back again (and again, and again...)

8.  A started kindergarten:  It has definitely been a transition.  I think she is weathering it well though, and she is learning  a lot of new things (though I could have done without her learning the 'Gangnam style' dance...is that curriculum now?).  I am the 'classroom representative':  a position that I fell into after the original mom decided it was too much work, and dropped it into my lap (though she sweetly assists whenever she has time between going to the gym and having her hair blown out).

9.  Our move to a new villa:  same compound, opposite end, with much more space and a better lay-out for our growing family.  I love it!

Those are Blue's pawprints


Birthday boy!

10.  Muscat:  we celebrated Pickle's official birthday in Muscat, with a stay at the Shangri-la resort.  I was not fully prepared for the beauty of its deep saffron-hued mountain peaks, off-set by the rolling waves of the Gulf of Oman.  One more night would have been perfect!
Muscat

We always try to keep ourselves busy (though not as busy as many of our friends).  This year we enjoyed our first family trip to the Corniche beach (which only took us four years of living here to accomplish).  The children all loved playing in the sand, and wading in the waters of the Arabian Gulf.

Lame Santa at Abu Dhabi Mall

Peter's a proud papa

A scene from Christmas day (Peter is behind the lens)
Dubai is also a 'go-to' adventure for us.  Whether it is a day spent at the Aquarium in Dubai mall, or just strolling through Ibn Battuta Mall looking for bargains, the children enjoy the change in venue and exploring around.  Though they are only an hour apart, Dubai and Abu Dhabi have two completely different feels to them.  When we are in Dubai, we feel like we are leaving behind the Middle East for a while, and returning to a more Western civilization.

2012 held its share of sadness.  Two of my dear friends were diagnosed with breast cancer though thankfully they have both responded well to treatment and are on the "road to remission" (if that is not a cancer survivor book title, it darn well should be!!)  We also said goodbye to two friends of ours--Kim and Derrick, both of whom were lovely young men.  We will always treasure their memories and the time we had with them.

Though I have not made any resolutions for 2013, there are a few things I am looking forward to.  Jasmine (Peter's cousin's daughter) will be coming to visit us (hopefully) early in January.  We really enjoyed getting to know her this past summer, where we were likely the only couple in Paris who imported an AMERICAN au pair.  The children all loved "Jah-jah" and I am excited for the reunion, and to have some family come and stay with us.

Our little Pickle will be starting nursery in January.  Though it does pain my heart to send him off to school when he is sooooo small (and I am at home), I finally feel (somewhat) ready to follow the advice of the many language and developmental professionals he visits.  They all have told me that the experience of being in a classroom environment, among strangers, and with different stimulation will be the kick-start he needs for his speech and language development.  So, his backpack is monogrammed, and on January 6, he will start at the best Montessori school Abu Dhabi has to offer (seriously--this place is Maria's dream come true!).

Which will leave little Magoo and I at home.  She will start attending music classes and gymnastics classes, all on her own, and experience some quality time with her mom.  I am sure she will miss Pickle greatly (the children all really enjoy each other's company), and I hope that she will not start pressuring me to send HER to school as well (frankly Magoo--I plan to keep you home as long as I can).

in Muscat--a morning walk with Papa

I have the usual goals:  lose weight, exercise more, eat healthier.  Overall though, I am really hoping that we could just be lucky enough to live a 'normal' life.  The kind where things are fairly boring, you know?  I would just like for us all to be healthy, happy and love one another.  I hope the years will just pass by (like they have been doing) with nothing BIG happening (unless BIG means winning the lottery).  I want to laugh, cry, fight, make-up, stay up too late and wake-up tired in the morning.  I want the children to have memorable childhoods full of simple delights that they can remember wistfully when they are my age.  They are so precious to us--and we try to give them all the love, attention, guidance (and toys) they need.  They are truly the best parts of Peter and I.

No comments: