Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Friday, August 12, 2011

The pitter patter of tiny little feet

DISGUSTING!

My friend Lisa came over for dinner on Friday night, and I decided to try out a recipe for fried halloumi cheese (which I know is her favourite) and pomegranate salsa. We were also cooking up veggie burgers and smashed potatoes (thanks Andrea) and apple and pecan salad with honey mustard dressing. Fortunately, the above word does NOT describe the results of my meal--which was delicious and enjoyed by all.

Rather, 'DISGUSTING' refers to what I found living under our kitchen sink. COCKROACHES! I found myself retching as I reached for some garlic and saw something dark move amongst the dried onion and garlic peels. I ran outside looking for the spray, which is for OUTDOOR USE ONLY, but at that moment I couldn't think straight. It was all I could do to remove the food items, before I fumigated the space and promptly slammed the cabinet door shut--promising not to open up until Sally returned the next morning (a promise I kept).

We made a trip to IKEA on Saturday morning and LOVED! LOVED! LOVED! to find that their Ramadan hours were 11 am to 11 pm (as opposed to 10 to 10), and it was 10:28. So we killed some time having tea, mango juice and breast milk (me, Peter, little A and NB S respectively) as the Yas Hotel. We returned to IKEA and picked up a whole bunch of storage containers, intended to protect our food from our unwelcome guests. We also looked at some shelving options, as it's obvious that we need more space to keep food than we have been given (or I have to become a super-organized grocery shopper--not likely to happen anytime soon).

No comments: