Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

N--2.0

Like most mothers, I think that my children are amazing and beautiful.  Before I had children, I had not realized how much love I was capable of feeling.  After I had my own children, I found myself reevaluating my own relationship with my parents, factoring in my new found knowledge of the love between a parent and a child.  It is like no other love.  

That said, allow me to share with you N's new look--it's him, only just SOOO much cuter.  






This morning we had two appointments.  First, was N's audiologist appointment, where Jino was able to perform the OAE test on N WITHOUT SEDATION (and here's a big one finger salute--mature, I know-- to the chief ENT at SKMC, who said N would have to undergo general anaesthetic because he was "too active" to sedate).  This test was consistent with Jino's original ABR findings, and confirmed a mild hearing loss (which I guess is unfortunately not temporary, as he suspected).  However, it IS mild (and not moderate to severe) and Jino is recommending that we follow up with another test (which he will also try to perform without sedation in two weeks time), to determine which frequencies are missing from N's hearing range.  Normal speech occurs at a frequency range of 400 Hz to 5000 Hz.  Jino said if N's frequency loss is outside of that range, then we won't pursue any kind of treatment, as he will be able to hear all the sounds required to develop normal speech.  

This got me curious, and of course, researching on-line, where I found this neat little test to check my OWN frequency of hearing.  If you want to check yours, turn up yours speakers and try this HEARING TEST.  The last one I could hear was 16 kHz and YOUCH!!  it sure bugs the ears!!

After this appointment (which started almost an hour late and ran almost an hour long), I packed up my hungry and tired little guy and went to pick up his glasses.  It just didn't make sense to drive all the way back into the city again tomorrow.  The pick up was quick and easy and we zoomed back home.  


I thought we might have some problems with him keeping the glasses on, but he was a superstar.  He kept those glasses on his head and toddled and played around.  He was a little upset after nap and bath-time, when I put them back on, but it was just a little cry, and then back to sweetness for this little guy.

N is truly just an angel.  For all the crap that he's gone through in his life so far--all the poking and prodding, the blood tests, the ct-scans, the doctors visits, the therapies--I can only shake my head in awe at him.  At night, when I go to sleep, I think that I should aspire to be more like my son.

No comments: