Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Little Man--Big Changes

This week has been filled with lots of changes for our little N.  

We started with his first 'big boy' haircut (if you recall, I retired my scissors after the last cut).  Peter thought that his hair was a bit long and he needed some more shape for our family photos, so I packed him and A up (while S was sleeping) and off we went to the kid's salon at the pink shops.  There, we met Ahmed "sorry baby, little English", the hairdresser, and he worked his magic on N's hair, for 35 aed. Ahmed also taught me that Arabic cars say "da-rum, da-rum", as N drove around during his hair-cut.  We have received many comments on this new haircut, most of them indicating that N now looks like a 'real boy'.  I guess my mom-cuts weren't as great as I thought.  



Obviously N doesn't know he can't keep this toy.
Thank-you Ahmed!

On Thursday we met Earncy, our NEW speech therapist at the British Institute.  I wish I had found this place months ago!  Though it is really expensive (in an 'out of pocket' kind of way) there are a few things that make it much better than the Well Health Medical Clinic:

1.  The therapist seems to be very positive about all the things N CAN do.


2.  She seems to understand that the activities need to be 'age appropriate' for N, and does not have 'should be able to sit and concentrate at a desk for 45 minutes' as one of his goals.


3.  She feels that SHE is the therapist and is responsible for the therapy.  As such, she is requesting that I should stay OUT of the therapy session, b/c I will be a distraction for N.  At our previous shop, the therapist wanted me to sit in on the sessions, and went so far as to videotape a session where I led the therapy.  Her feedback to me afterwards indicated that I had failed as a therapist to my son.  


4.  The therapist indicated that N did not act like a child with any hearing loss.  If she did not already know the back-story, she would never refer N for an audiological exam, based on his response to auditory stimuli, and his reactions during the session with her.  She also informed me that disagreements between ENTs and audiologist is in fact the norm (in this region--or everywhere?), and that when in doubt, it is best to stick with the audiologist's feedback.  


5.  The therapist suggests that we attend no more than 1 hour a week (or two thirty minute sessions--which are more expensive, and so I am hoping 1 hour a week will work).  She feels anything more is too much for a child so young.  


6.  The British Institute is a five minute drive, on local roads, with little to no traffic.  It is a much safer drive and allows me to still have the energy and time for my OTHER two darling children, when I come home from speech therapy.  

I am hoping for good things!

This morning, we went to find N some specs.  We did find Majzoud Optical, on the corner of Khalifa Street, across from the NBAD building.  He tried on these two pairs.  Although I like the shape of the blue glasses, they are too big.  So he will be wearing the rounded pink version--but in BLUE.  Sadly, the Middle East does not carry the same colour range of Miraflex as North America.  However, they are super light, and durable, and as you can see--he is ADORABLE!!

700 aed and one week...his glasses should be ready for pick-up!





We had a great time at Yang and Juergen's housewarming bbq.  They chose to have an afternoon event just so that we could make it.  We chose to leave all of our little ones at home, and thus we were able to enjoy some delicious food and some adult conversation, without interruption.

Peter is jetting off to London again tomorrow morning.  He will be back on Saturday.  Let's see what this week brings us...hopefully better sleeps for S (and thus for me too!).

No comments: