Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Monday, June 13, 2011

OMG--Two more sleeps!!


THIS IS THE HOW I HAVE FELT ALL DAY LONG!!!

I have been having a low energy day. I have wanted to accomplish so many things, and I feel like I have gotten nothing done. Our flight is leaving on Wednesday morning, and I want to be DONE packing by Tuesday night--no last minute running around with like a chicken with my head cut off. I want to have a nice sleep--bags packed and by the door--ready to go, nice and easy, yeah!

On Friday we had a lovely 'bon voyage' breakfast with Uncle Ajay (who treated us) and Uncle Pete. We were also joined by our friend Gee, whose family is in England. As I previously suspected, he mentioned that there is a high probability that they will not stick around Abu Dhabi. They have enjoyed their six month stay at the Shangri-La hotel, but feel that this environment is a bit too surreal, and just not for them. Fair enough. I will miss my new friend Sahar, and her boys, but am happy to have another friend to visit in the UK.

I also met my friend Amal, whom I have not seen since before NB was born. It seems that she has moved back to her family home in the city, while her husband Alex completes his contract in Kuwait. It was good to run into her (the first time I met her we'd just had baby N), especially as we will be leaving so soon.

Just a little bump in the road on the way to breakfast. We stopped for gas (and planned on using the famous DGA shortcut to the Shang), as we so often do. Unfortunately, when Peter turned the key in the ignition, NOTHING HAPPENED!! He tried and tried and tried...nada--just a clicking sound and all the lights went off. Although it was only 8:15 a.m., it was plenty hot, and we had three wee ones in the car. So, I went over the the other lane and loaded the children and myself into a silver cab, and we headed on our way to breakfast, while Peter had the men of Adnoc help him push the car out of the gas bay into a parking spot. He hopped into a taxi and joined us ten minutes later. Uncle Pete helped us boost our car back to life, so we could get home, however, when we tried to start it later, it was dead.

As it was Friday and everything was closed, the earliest appointment we could get was Sunday.
Here is my newest friend Malik Kashif (mob: 055.725.0107). Please call him if you need a tow. He is a friendly and hard-working Pakistani fellow, who dreams of becoming a Canadian citizen. He has already applied. He was very intrigued to meet me--so much so that he phoned me afterwards to see if I could help him out with his application. Believe it or not, Malik is the SECOND Pakistani man to call me this week with this request. The first phone call came on Saturday, from Hussain, who was the watchman at our KCA residence. Hussain told me that he had just returned from Pakistan and had cut all his ties back home. He is now searching for a new country to give him citizenship, and was hoping that I could help him get into Canada (don't ask me how). My advice: get a job there, or find a Canadian girl to marry you.




Here is the fort I made for Little A and baby N. Peter has been complaining we don't have the proper amount of furniture to make a good fort. So, I schooled him in "Fort-Making 101". I used two bull-dog clips, and VOILA!! So good that little A asked me to make it the next day too!
How different would MacGyver's life have been if he'd lived in the age of bull-dog clips? Can you imagine what he could do with bull-dogs AND duct tape??

The car is fixed, and I had a busy day. We started early, around 7, with a haircut for baby N. Then it was off to the post office to pick up an International Driver's License (my Alberta license expired in 2010), and to the pink shops to get some tailoring. I was hoping to have a new white top to wear, but they messed it up! Insert sad face here.

I think little A can sense my stress, as she's been pretty sensitive and quick to tears. She started crying when I was joking with her and told her she couldn't accompany me on errands this morning. She seems unusually attached to me today too. I've got to chill out...

I'm tired...but still so much to pack and put together. I am supposed to be looking for ideas to keep an (almost) toddler busy for 18 hours of flying time...but I decided to blog. I think we'll have enough for little A (I just put together a big pack for her), and so many friends here have been so thoughtful giving us little activity book gifts out of the blue (thanks Tara and Sherry!!). Baby N though...hmmmmm.....

I am really looking forward to being back in Alberta--just not looking forward to getting there. Wish us luck!




No comments: