Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Happy Anniversary--One Year in AD

One year ago on this date, our plane was flying over golden waves of sand. I stepped off the plane (with a billion other brown people...most of whom were heading to India) and went to look for customs, and then my luggage. I loaded everything onto one cart, and then, after a prolonged wait for my stroller and car-seat, I strapped little A into the go-go babyz and headed out the doors of 'arrivals' to meet P (and our friend Pete) who were waiting for us. My first instinct, once I got outside, was to remove our socks, as it was very warm. Though it was just after 7 in the morning, it was already very bright and hot. Fortunately, this year is a bit cooler (it's true when they said last year was unusually hot for the fall I guess).

So...where are we one year later? Now 'settled' (I use the word lightly...as possibly we might be moving at month's end if the lease doesn't get negotiated...we have no curtains, no pictures up on the walls...) in our villa at Al Raha, we have made some friends and have a semblance of daily life and routine. Phinn is here, and doesn't seem to notice how different his new environment is; he has adapted to life here by locating all the windows where he can see the street and thus perform his sentry duties. Little A is growing and getting smarter everyday. As we've recently joined the Officer's Club, she is now able to swim regularly (though yesterday was not fun as she will tell you 'boy bite me'--and it's true...a three year old local boy--with terrible teeth--named Hamad, decided to greet little A with a 'love bite'. Fortunately, I was able to shove him off quickly and there was no skin piercing or tears. His mom was very apologetic and made him say 'sorry'...but he must've really liked little A as he continued to try and interact with her in the 'other pool' where little A wanted to go immediately after the incident, and then later in the locker area). She now sleeps in her own room, on her own mattress on the floor, all night long. She seems to show a limited understanding of the 'baby brother' on the way (thank-you to Blue's Clues for teaching her the words), and will occasionally hug and kiss my expanding belly. Although, at times, she mentions the 'baby brother' in her belly too...hence, the 'limited understanding' report.
Of all of us, I'm sure that P is the one who enjoys life here the most. Little A and Phinn are oblivious to the difference, and me...well...it's not somewhere I want to be long-term, but it's okay for this time in my life. P seems to enjoy his work and is always raving about the 'lifestyle' in Abu Dhabi (I, on the other hand, am obviously not the 'target audience' of said 'lifestyle').
Not only are we expecting a baby at the end of this year, but it seems we will also be welcoming our first family visitors. My parents will stop over on their way to and from India, and P's elder sister and mom will visit over Christmas. I am looking forward to the family visits.

No comments: