Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

1344

Despite a bumpy start (E-movers--your organization has much room for improvement), the dust is both literally and figuratively starting to settle.

Supervising the movers

The move that was only supposed to take ONE day, ended up taking TWO, and involved an awful lot of extra work for us all.  Normally, we expect the movers to pack and unpack most everything (except the kitchen) but with E-movers, that might have put our move into the three day range, and I was not interested in that.  The men that came were very nice, however there were just too few of them, and only one or two of them had a working level grasp of English.


Just the two of us

There were so many things to coordinate:  cleaners, maintenance, movers, curtains, pool guys, landscaping, keys...and my phone rang constantly.  I have made so many new male Pakistani Punjabi friends (and I am not sure that is a good thing).  Once the garden is done, the curtains are up and the pool is filled, I think we will be ready for company (bc so many of our friends are just waiting to come and visit!!).

Litte A is showing signs of settling into school.  She still gets nervous in the mornings at drop off time.  However, the little girl I pick up is generally very chirpy and happy.  So, it will still take a bit of time.  The hardest part for me, is how little time I have with her after-school.  It feels like she comes home, has a snack, plays, bathes, eats supper and sleeps.  I confess to missing the endless hours we used to spend together.  Now I feel lucky to have the time to snuggle her while reading a bed-time story.  I have to find a way to maximize the time we spend together.

However, I am now having the opportunity to have more time with Ni-ni and Magoo.  This is a treat, as they are both very sweet and fun (though Magoo has been a bit of a howler monkey as of late).  I think they are exploring a new relationship with each other as well--one that is without any interference from their big sister.



We have had our friends Juergen and Fidelia over for dinner (kind of a 'soft house-warming' get together).  Little A even took a nap so that she could stay up later and spend some time with Fidelia.  I think we all really enjoyed our time together, but certainly, my friend Yang was missed a great deal.

Little A and Fidelia

Yang makes my second friend to be diagnosed with breast cancer this summer.  As Aum starts her chemo in Grande Prairie, Yang is having her radiation treatments in China.  My heart is with them, and I love them both a great deal.  For me, having women like them in my life lets me know that I am making good life choices, and surrounding myself with loving souls.  

That's what being in Abu Dhabi and getting older has done for me. It has given me some clarity, and help me to define myself and the kinds of people I want in my life.  People who bring me up, and nurture me, with love and honesty.  I am not afraid now to limit exposure to people who don't bring anything positive into my life.  Can you believe I used to be?

A boy and his dog

I am really enjoying all the space in our new villa.  It will make it easier to pass a few more years here (though how I will ever live in the real world again...).  Today, we became the proud owners of an indoor trampoline (for N's physiotherapy), and I LOVE it.  He is still learning how to bounce on it (mostly he likes to lie down).  I can't wait to see what A will do when she comes home.  Magoo, of course, started baby-jumping right away.  

The parking garage (from Christmas) is a big hit, Nanaji!

That's how we have been keeping busy the last few weeks.  I feel like I really need to sit down and reorganize my head, as it has all been a very overwhelming experience.  


No comments: