Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Thursday, October 16, 2008

So long Rahim!

I heard some news that was very welcome to me this morning. It appears that FINALLY, Linda Duncan has removed Rahim Jaffer as the MP for our area in Edmonton. It's about time!! Colin, Caroline and Ellie: the old neighbourhood has just become a better place...congratulations to you all!
Saw a little bit of the McCain vs. Obama (or GO-bama...as I like to call him...because I want him to GO all the way to the White House) debate. There is something very strange about McCain's eyes...very dark and beady...has he already admitted to a little help of the Nip/Tuck variety?
Today's adventure: Marks and Spencers. We had a great deal of trouble getting a taxi (both there and back). Apparently the taxi drivers here are not very hard up for work and are very selective about their clientele...I guess they see a lady with a baby and figure "she can't be more than 4 Dhs away from home...not worth it" as they pass me by. That being said, A is very cute trying to flag down taxi drivers with her little wave. We also managed to make another new friend, Adele, who stood with me to help me get on my way. Being here since July, Adele is an AD pro.
The Marks and Spencers was a bit of a let-down. I remember it being a whole lot bigger...with a foods section. This was pretty small and only had clothes. We were actually searching for a 'tiny tots' group...but, it just wasn't meant to be. Instead, we checked out "The Playground", an activity centre for moms and little ones (45 Dhs...approximately $10 for admission). I also checked out an "Aldo" store (a lot of Canadian stores over here: Bata, La Senza...I'm really crossing my fingers for a Real Canadian Superstore somewhere here). I need to hold back on the spending though, as we are running out of Dhs (Dirhams) currency, and P is still waiting to get paid (there are a few steps...you can't get paid without a bank account...you cannot get a bank account with being a resident...you can't be a resident without a residency visa....and you get the drift). It seems we'll be heading to the bank on Saturday (Friday being a religious holiday and banks are closed) to set up our account (making us one more step closer to Villa-ville!).
Did the usual walk along the Corniche this morning. The humidity was incredible! We woke up to moisture on our windows, and what looked like fog all over. If I didn't know better, I could've sworn rain was in the forecast. We left for our walk at the usual time (around 7) and by the time we got back to the hotel at 8, the sun was just beginning to burn off the clouds. That was very strange. In all my time in AD (two weeks is it?) I've never experienced anything like it.
Finished reading the book "Sickened" during A's morning nap, and really, that's how I felt. Munchausen's by proxy is a disgusting illness. I've got to go to the author's website for a personal update on her life.

2 comments:

Cindy L. said...

Rahim arrived at his headquarters and said to the media it's only appropriate to make an appearance when he's confident of the results as a sign of respect to his opponents. Then later in the evening he got pulled off the floor as he was making an acceptance speech! Guess he kind of jumped the gun.

Glad you're having fun there... hope you get a bank acct and move into Villa-ville soon. Keep blogging while I'm gone so I know how everything is with the three of you (soon to be four I hope!)

Cindy

PS I hope you find a Real Canadian Superstore!

Anu Dhabi said...

Congratulations Cindy L. As the FIRST PERSON to leave a comment on my blog you win free accommodations in AD WHENEVER you decide to come and visit!!

Rahim...Rahim...tsk! tsk!