Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Friday, January 21, 2011

The House of Cards


Surprisingly, not as loud and noisy as I had prepared myself for.

Speaking of rice (yes--that's the transition I'm using), Peter and I had discussed how much rice to make for our guests. He was sure that everyone would have at least one cup of rice with their Korean BBQ, and so he wanted our helper to make 8 cups (and remember--it usually doubles after it is cooked). I thought that was WAY too much and told him to forget the rice. After all, we weren't serving dinner, instead it was just 'finger food'. Peter didn't understand how any one would eat the BBQ meat without rice. I figured they would eat it like chicken wings, but as a vegetarian, I know that I am not an authority on how people eat meat. Anyways, I talked him down to 6 cups (enough for 12 people), and we made it in our biggest stock pot (because that amount is too much for our rice cooker).

Imagine how much I laughed when I came downstairs to find a huge metal stock pot filled with rice on my coffee table! And when i say filled, I mean FULL as in their had only been maybe 1/2 a scoop of rice consumed from the pot (and Peter tells me it was another fellow who ate it). I wanted to take a picture, but was too late as our helper got up early to help clean up.

Today was a rainy day (with actual rain). What a nice change from the usual!

We had our usual breakfast at the Shang (our friend Andrea would be so proud as several of their dumplings made their way home with us).

After an afternoon siesta (for everyone except me--even Phinn had a great time bonding with the new baby as he insisted on snoozing on my stomache), we fed the kids and drove out to Dalma Mall. I was impressed to see some of the changes (for example, it no longer takes a 10 minute detour around the highway and back roads to enter the parkade and exit). More stores have opened, and the Carrefour looks much nicer and well-stocked than the one on Airport Road. One day, when all the stores are in, this should be a great place for shopping. Who knows if we'll still be here to benefit.

Baby N made quite a fuss on the way home. We suspect that teething and tiredness were at the root of his issues. He had a big supper and then went to sleep with no fuss. Little A also went to bed rather easily, possibly tired out from all the 'fast rides' at Dalma Mall. She and her father have a lot of fun here, zooming around in grocery carts at top speed. They were quite the attraction together, and turned many a head. I caught one little boy looking wistfully at them--Peter speeding along, A laughing at her top volume. Likely, he had never seen anyone enjoy being with their children so much and was wondering how he could convince his housemaid to run like a maniac through the mall with him riding in the grocery cart.

70 days to go. My hips continue to give me incredible grief, and today my ankles decided to join in and swell up. Peter helped me pull on the circulation stockings and I'm heading to bed soon. We think that possibly the cooler weather and rain are responsible for the swelling. These pains are the reason that I was the only one who couldn't sleep this afternoon.

So...better try and get some sleep now.

No comments: