Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The light bulb finally has light...

Now I know why I usually end up waiting an hour or more for appointments at SKMC (Sheikh Khalifa Medical City)!

SKMC is the 'elite' private hospital which services the 'local' Emirati population here. For the rest of us to use its doctors and services (which are generally agreed to be the best the UAE has to offer), you must have a doctor's referral, a Daman or Thiqa insurance card and OOODLES of patience (in order to get appointments and deal with staff while you are there).

Today I had two appointments (well--actually three--but N's pediatric neurologist resigned two weeks ago). My first appointment was at 8 a.m. (I find, despite traffic, it is wise to always try and get the 'first appointment of the day', as the doctor has a greater likelihood of being 'on-time'). We beat N's doctor in the door by about 15 minutes, and were in to see him shortly afterwards. Which was great--he checked him over, and requested a follow-up in four months (which we booked for MAY 3--earliest available). I also asked him to check the results of the blood tests (looks like Iron Man's hemoglobin is back up to normal range--yeah!!), and we were out of there by 8:40 a.m.

The problem that now arises: N's next appointment is not until 10 a.m.

Ever hopeful, I went to clinic 5, rebooked with a NEW pediatric neurologist (as N's 9 a.m. appointment had been cancelled--which is why we had such a long wait ahead of us), and was AMAZED when the receptionist told me there was only one patient in with our doctor now, and we were NEXT. And it was 8:45 a.m.--AND our appointment wasn't until 10!!

Seriously--we were already on the road home when the clock read 10 a.m.!!

But--now I know why I always have to wait when I have the 9 a.m. appointment--b/c somebody shows up and gets into the cue ahead of me--and the receptionists don't seem to be able to sort: appointments FIRST--drop-ins will be accommodated IF THERE IS TIME (although technically--I HAD an appointment--I did 'drop-in' a bit earlier than expected).

All-in-all, a good visit to SKMC. Doctor's reports for N were good and follow-ups were booked (both for May 3--which is great).

No comments: