Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The ants go marching one by one...hurrah!! hurrah!!

We've had a problem with ants on our second floor for about a month now. It has been a real challenge to figure out where they are coming from (as usually they come in through improperly sealed doors). The ant bait that we've been using has been completely useless, and the sprays you can buy here are dangerous (most are not clearly labelled as to whether they are for indoor or outdoor use). Yesterday, there were more ants than I had seen before. Whereas there are usually only two or three meandering around on the landing, there were over twenty, and they seemed more purposeful and had a clearly delineated trajectory (or so it seemed).

So, as I was heading out for my ob appointment (and little A LOVES bugs), I asked my helper to try and track them to discover where they were coming from. We both suspected that perhaps the upstairs balcony in N's room was the source, and she was game to spray it (on the outside) for me.

I noticed that evening, as I was walking the upstairs hallway, that I was no longer sharing the space with tiny feet (so much more ROOM now for me to walk). After speaking to Malou, she told me she found the ant's nest. It seems they were coming from N's bathroom (aka 'storage space'). They had dug up the grout and were streaming out of the hole. So, she sprayed the hole and surrounding area, and VOILA!! No more ants!!

Now I have to follow up and have maintenance come and fix the hole, so that we do not have to use the insecticide regularly.

Just another example of how little things can make such a big difference !

No comments: