Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Peter Goes to England...


...and I get to spend some time with this guy:




Seriously...when Peter goes away, I get to catch up on MY television shows (the ones he has no interest in watching).

I knew, when Mark Valley (formerly a reincarnation of Jack Devereux from Days of Our Lives) appeared in the opening scenes, that I would enjoy the show Fringe. Not only did I like the paranormal, X-files vibe, he's a hell of a lot easier on the eyes than Fox Mulder. So, this week I've been spending my 'me-time' in the evenings, eating supper and watching Fringe.

The days this week have not been very busy, and I've been taking it easy (as much as I can) and just starting with the 'nesting' a little bit. We finally found a ladder to cover the windows in little A's bedroom (that were 4.5 m up--someone who designed that feature should be fired...and likely already has been...it is an Aldar development after all). Now we can use that bedroom, since we have more control over the amount of light that shines in.

I managed to attend a book-swap on Monday, where I got 10 new books to read (including one old favourite, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", to keep). I also met some newbies to Al Raha (and Abu Dhabi) and felt, for the first time, like a seasoned veteran of ex-pat living. Though it was a short visit, as I took A with me and it was very close to lunch, I managed to squeeze in some tea and conversation as well. A received some very unwelcome hugs from our hostesses son, which helped to hurry our departure along.

Yesterday we learned that N had been booked for another physiotherapy appointment today, thus cancelling my plans to have a friend come over for tea. When we arrived, Dr. Anub was running late, but once we got settled he asked me "so...what are we doing here now?". He believes that N is now caught up in his 'milestones' and believes he should be walking within the next 2-3 months. This did not stop him from booking us in for another appointment in two weeks (gotta love the insurance pre-approval system). I told him that we would attend the next appointment, but suggested that we keep the appointments on a monthly basis after that, so that Dr. Anub can follow his progress and see if there is any need for referral for anything down the line.


So far he can only put it in reverse

Hopefully by week end Insha'Allah (god willing) we will have a fully-functioning pool heater. The men from EMCO arrived yesterday with the unit we had purchased back in October (that's how long 6-8 weeks is in Abu Dhabi time). After they helped put up the foil on the windows to block out the sun in little A's room (yes--really), they began the installation of the pool heater, which apparently is a four day job. Today is day 2 of 4.

I also have to give some positive feedback to the Etisalat call-centre employee who helped me out this morning. We have had no internet connectivity since yesterday afternoon (don't ask me why) and he managed to talk me through the fix and reset over the phone. And get this....it actually WORKED!!

This allowed us to Skype a 'happy birthday' to Grandma in Edmonton. Apparently there was no birthday celebration for Grandma today (they have scheduled one for Friday), but she was very pleased to have received the birthday card and Chinese New Year's cards we sent, yesterday (thanks Emirates Post). (***Side Note: I have noticed that it only seems to take about 10 days for us to send mail to family and friends back in Canada--it's mail that comes this way that is unpredictable.) As with most of the Skype calls we make where A is involved, I understood little to none of the conversation that took place. I couldn't hear Peter's mom at all, as A was either singing or talking the entire time. However, I think she enjoyed the on-line visit from her grandchildren, and we hope she had a good day.

No comments: