Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 4 of 4


...and the pool heater is installed and humming away outside of our villa. It sounds like there is a big truck that is idling outside...continuously...but it will be well worth it to get into our pool once again (which I understand will be 32 degrees by Tuesday).

FRIDAY:
We had a very nice weekend. Little A was thrilled to get her 'Biguana' (the green iguana that Peter brought her back from England). It was QUITE pricey (certainly way more than anything I've priced out on amazon.com, but part of the proceeds go to the WWF--we all have to support the wrestling industry in our own ways ;-)). Baby N got nothing, but his papa's love and attention--at his age he is too little to need or want anything more than that. We spent a quiet Friday at home, after filling our tummies with the offerings of our usual buffet breakfast (and I must say the hollandaise was especially yummy on Friday).

A and Peter spent some time building 'scooters' with Tinker-toys. I must comment on Peter's improved design skills. Each time he builds something, it gets better. I have to remember to pull-out the Tinker-toys when our engineering friends come out for a visit---see what kind of difference a degree makes.

A's Scooter

Friday night I had an awful (pregnancy hormone filled) sleep. It was not the best of nights, as the usual painful roll-overs were complicated by crazy baby hormones. However, we all had a sleep-in the next morning, and had a good day regardless.

SATURDAY:
Peter was thrilled that Tiger made it into the next round, and drove out to Dubai to see him play. He was also happy that some guy named Steve didn't break his camera (and so was I frankly--otherwise I would've had to hunt down this Steve fellow and kick his ass). He managed to get some nice pictures and a memory that will last him a while (until Tiger needs more money and hears the sound of dirhams jingling in the UAE). Who knows when he would've had the chance to see his golf hero play if we had been living in Edmonton.


A is disappointed that THIS is the Tiger papa went to see in Dubai

Later, little A and I made Valentine's Day cookies. I was very disappointed with Betty Crocker and her on-line recipe--which was absolutely CRAP for cookie-cutter cookies. It was nothing more than a shortbread recipe, spiced up with ginger and food colouring. Those who bake know that shortbread is not a friend of the cookie-cutter (press yes--cutter no), and so, in order to not break my little girl's hearts (literally), there was a lot of "refrigerate, roll, cut and repeat". The results look great (thanks Andrea for the sprinkles--we finally found a use for them) and taste yummy--but I am on the hunt for a better recipe for cookie-cutter cookies (anyone?) for the future.

We used to call her 'bunny' as a nickname

We had an unexpected but welcome visit with my friend Farzana, and her husband Kamal. Farzana was one of the first friends I made here, at a Khalifa Ladies Coffee Morning (one of the only groups that would let me attend with little A). She is a lovely lady and I have missed her a lot, since she has moved (temporarily I hope) back to Scotland, while her daughter completes her last year of high school. She was thrilled about all the growth and changes in baby N, and I was laughing, thinking about how different things would be if HE was the baby I had brought to the coffee morning...he would not have sat still for a minute, and I wouldn't have had a chance to meet or speak to anyone there.

SUNDAY:
This morning, I made TWO trips to the New Al Noor Hospital. I had a routine ultrasound scheduled, but left my referral form at home...so, I had to drive all the way back home and get it (30 minutes round trip). What a pain, but better than the alternative, which was re-booking the the appointment. Lucky me, I didn't wait longer than two minutes when I got back with my form.

I was seen by the same doctor who scanned me with baby N, and was surprised to learn she was actually the wife of my obgyn. Apparently, baby N, with his 'mystery' medical condition is quite a memorable baby, and she recognized me right away. She told me that she remembered my scan with N quite clearly and shared that she had known something was wrong immediately; she told me he was all bunched up on one side of my uterus, and would not move when she prodded him in order to look at my placenta. This was not information she shared with me at the time. I remember being annoyed at being called back again to the hospital to have a second ultrasound to check the placenta. It was the second ultrasound that prompted the emergency c-section that brought baby N into the world.

She was very pleased that N seems to be so greatly improved. I loved when she told me that both she and "Marwan" (that's DR. MARWAN to me) were both quite concerned about N at the time of his birth, as there seemed to be no explanation for his condition. She was also happy to report that B3 is a very healthy and active baby, weighing about 2.2 kg.

Little A surprised me by printing her first letter "A" on her Aquadoodle. We were just playing around, keeping her awake before ballet class, and I noticed she had drawn what appeared to be an "A". So I asked her "what is this?" and she told me "it's the letter A". I asked her to do another one, and she did THREE more. I was very proud of her. I have to be honest and say that I do not push her at all to learn letters and numbers (I know--not very 'teacher-like' of me). So, I am very pleased that she is demonstrating her own interest in this, via her 'alphabet book' and today's letter writing experience. It is my hope that she will love learning for the act itself.



No comments: