Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Friday, February 25, 2011

So...it's a cold...


...and not allergies as I had hoped. The snuggler was back in bed with me last night (as she assured me that I was getting better and she would not get sick) and I felt terrible for her. What kind of sleep could she have had with me getting up regularly to pee and then the sneeze-a-thons...10-12 in a row (a record even for me)?

Let's see...if the tickle in my throat started Monday(-ish), then hopefully it should be all mended by next Monday (so only three more days to go). Cross your fingers for me.

Despite my cold, we had a tasty dinner (or so I think as my tastebuds are not exactly at 100% with this cold) last night at Asha's restaurant in Khalidiyah Mall. Incidentally, 'Asha' was one of the names that I had liked for little A--but in the end we didn't choose it. I liked it for its softness and could already hear its pronunciation being butchered by so many back home (particularly those who ignore you when you tell them how something is pronounced and prefer to keep imposing their own interpretation of phonics on the world).

It was a 'bon voyage' dinner for Aunty Kathy, Charlotte and Steve, from Edmonton who were all flying out Friday morning to various destinations. Asha's is a popular restaurant chain, created by the famous Indian singer Asha Bhosle. We took along litle A (who resisted coming along until she was told she could wear her new 'plum velvet' party dress) and left baby N behind (as he usually eats dinner at 6 and is asleep by 6:30 pm). It was the second time we've eaten at this restaurant (the first time was with Kathy and Pete as well) and I remarked on how different the experience was, now that A was older. So much more enjoyable (she sat and almost ate an entire plate of pappadams on her own)!


Almost 'Asha'

We saw the plastic camel display that had been set-up in order to educate shoppers about improper usage and disposal of plastic bags. There has been a real push in the last year to switch people over from plastic bags to reusable bags. Eventually, all shops are going to be forced to use recycled plastic bags. However, the dates of implementation have continually been pushed back. There has been a lot of media attention of late, particularly when an art exhibit displayed a camel's intestine full of plastic bags (a leading cause of camel death). So now, they've launched a new campaign and are handing out free PAPER bags (although I noticed that the paper they've used is not recycled...and from what I have seen so far the 'paper and pulp' industry is non-existent in the UAE) to advertise it. 'A' for effort though--I applaud their attempts to make change for the environment.

Help Jamilah save our camels!!



1 comment:

Donna said...

Your daughter is beautiful in her "plum velvet" party dress!! I hope you feel better soon. I just got over a cold too. It didn't take too long and the cold wasn't that bad (thank goodness). I started taking one "Cold FX Extra Strength" per day at the end of August when school started and this was the first cold I caught all winter. Good stuff!!