Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Natural Urban Mamas



Perhaps it is just my week for excellent customer service--but I have to share this little story.

When A was just over a year (and toothless), I purchased a dark-cherry amber teething necklace for her, from the above mentioned company. They were a relatively young business in Edmonton, and I was happy to get something natural and support small business in Edmonton as well. I am not sure how much it actually helped her teething, but it is a lovely necklace, and she has worn it ever since the day it was delivered to our home in central Edmonton. Over the years, we have received so many compliments, and because she has worn it for so long now, it is just a part of her.

I wanted to establish a new 'family tradition' for the family I was creating. I hoped that my children would keep these necklaces to treasure when they got older and wonder at how they were so small. Perhaps one day, they would find themselves choosing to continue the tradition with their own children.

When I got pregnant again, I wanted our second baby to have a similar teething necklace. After searching around, I found them very difficult to find (very unusual, as amber is a very popular material for jewelry in this region). What I could find was not of great quality and definitely not designed to withstand the tugs and bites of little hands and teeth. So, I returned to the original on-line shop and got the purchase sent to my family, who then had it delivered to us. I was a bit disappointed that the dark cherry beads had been discontinued, but thought that it might be nice for each of my children to have something unique as well.


Thanksgiving 2010

Then, along came baby N. It was a LONG time before his neck was strong enough to wear the necklace (I believe he first wore it to our belated Thanksgiving dinner). I remember feeling so 'thankful' (and how appropriate, considering the event) that he was finally strong enough to support his own neck, and therefore able to wear the necklace without it constantly pressing into his skin. That was also the same day he busted out the sound 'ma-ma' (another reason to be thankful).

One day, as he became more active, I found some bits of the amber necklace in his play-pen. I was really concerned, as he is definitely an 'oral' little guy, and everything goes into his mouth. Fortunately, I could tell that I had recovered an entire bead, and that nothing had been ingested. Had I still been living in Edmonton, I would have likely contacted the company with a complaint, but as I live in the United Arab Emirates, I felt that complaining would be a pointless act.

I kept the necklace on (as N is also more actively growing teeth than his sister did), and have just monitored the other beads. To date, they have all remained on the strand. However, I must admit, that whenever I see the spot for the missing bead, I am bothered by it.

SO... this morning, as I was cleaning my 'inbox', I saw an email from Natural Urban Mamas and sure enough, there was a contact email listed. It was early, so I figured that as N played in his bouncy chair, I would fire off a quick email and just provide some feedback on this product. I had no other expectations or agenda.

The email was sent around 6:30 a.m. (my time) so 7:30 p.m. in Edmonton.

Imagine my surprise to find a reply, only a few hours later, in my inbox. Natasha was apologetic about the product and really seemed genuinely to appreciate that I took some time to share my story with her. She also shared some good news--the black-cherry beads are back (due to popular demand!!), and wondered how she could send some my way.

Suffice it to say, I am very pleased. I have put in a request for TWO black-cherry necklaces (and only now as I am typing do I remember that I was supposed to send Natasha some measurements---sorry Natasha!!), and I am hoping that they might send them directly to me here.

To all my friends in Alberta with little ones, might I request that you support this 'home-grown' business. Please check out the link to their web-site (they have some great sales!). I have noticed that not only are they selling natural and organic products, but they are actively involved in the community as well.

AND--when I went shopping at Lulu's today, I needed some 'assistance' with my cart and groceries. One of their employees helped me while he was ON HIS BREAK and he even refused my tip (which has never happened before!).

Thank-you Universe!!

No comments: