Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Saturday, April 16, 2011

The (Not Quite) One Month Party

The Chinese Symbol for Rabbit

We have been busy little bees the last couple of days, planning and preparing for NB's First Moon Birthday party. I have had TWO goals, with respect to this party:

1. To not leave too much food preparation for the last day. Usually we run ourselves ragged the day OF a party, as we have left too much food prep for the last day (in an effort to make sure it is all fresh).

2. To keep the party small. As NB is so young, I did not want her to be frightened or uncomfortable with a lot of people. Plus, as her immunity is still fragile, I did not want to expose her to too many foreign pathogens.

Making the red eggs with my best helper
(& now we don't have to dye Easter Eggs!!
I love two-for-one activities!!)


I managed to accomplish my first goal. Peter decided to use a local restaurant to cater his contribution to the event (the meat portion). So, basically I got to monopolize Malou's energies and got her to make a fresh fruit salad, and deep fry the green onion cakes and pakoras (yes--Punjabi Chef was in the house sans recipe--mom you would be very proud as the pakoras were delicious and many of my Indian contemporaries found them delicious).

Even with a last minute cancellation (party of four), number 2 did not happen. Though we did try our very best to keep the guest list small, we still ended up with a lot of people. We loved that we had such a great turn-out, and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Here are some memorable events:

*Little A was delighted that Aunty Zana (who surprised me tremendously by just showing up--she is in AD for a short trip from Scotland and I wasn't holding out much hope that she would make it as she'd only flown in that morning) remembered her in the form of a sticker book (a very ELABORATE sticker book--the most amazing I have every seen), and it did not leave her hands the entire time. In fact, we had a rather tough time prying it out of her hands at bed-time and even then, she kept it by her bed-side. Note to anybody buying a gift for an almost four year old girl--STICKER BOOKS!!

Mirha and the Rabbit baby

*NB S got so many lovely gifts, and was adored by all (whenever she took the time to peep her head out from under my nursing cover). She managed to get a few cuddles from few of the ladies, though the 'menfolk' seemed rather hesitant to approach--perhaps it was the nursing cover and what was underneath that held them back? I am actually feeling quite overwhelmed by the generosity of our friends--a thank-you card (which will likely be home-made, and which will likely take a LONG time to hand out) will not be able to adequately describe the thankfulness that is in my heart (but it will have to do).

Thanks Uncle Raj and Aunty Patti for NB's gifts!

* Baby N had a lovely time playing with anyone and everyone. How lucky am I (especially considering he is over my weight limit for carrying) that he is so friendly and goes to practically anybody? As soon as he woke up, he was passed from one person to the next, and spent a great deal of time joyfully playing with our friend Zee's older children. Peter has decided he needs to go to nursery, although I have clarified that N likes to play with OLDER children who actively engage with him (not ones his own age)...which can be translated to mean: 'over my dead body' (but who knows--maybe I'll feel differently at a later date and time?).

*I had a very embarrassing wardrobe malfunction (argh! stupid nursing tops!!) and hopefully my relationship with Mr. Ajay ("Uhhh-jay--NOT Ay-jay" as Little A will correct her dad endlessly) is not irreparably damaged. Ajay (who didn't quite make it as far as Al Ain this time, but still managed to take a more scenic route than he would have liked) had brought his parents along, and it was really nice to meet Jagjit and Nandini. I had to laugh when Jagjit told me 'after I saw the mosque for the third time, I knew we were a little lost, but I decided not to say anything and just let him find the way'. Ajay has very loving parents. I don't know many Indian parents who are able to refrain from telling their children what to do.

By the end of the evening (around 5:45 pm), we were all toast. Both A and N slept until 7 am (and they are usually both up by 6 a.m.) the following morning.


Shariza and family (with NB S)

**NB: The pictures I have included in today's blog are not necessarily from the party. We had only ONE photographer (who was also required to hostess, care for children, & nurse a newborn baby) and so we didn't end up with a lot of photos from the day. Too bad! We will have to take more on April 24 (the actual ONE MONTH) to make up for it.**

1 comment:

Donna said...

I love all the pictures of Baby N! His facial expressions are priceless! Congratulations on reaching the one month goal with a newborn! From what culture does the one month celebration come? That is definitely something new to me. :)