Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Burnt Popcorn

The aroma still pervades our home.

It is the end of another weekend, and all I can say is I wish I had taken some pictures of something OTHER than my HAND (but b/c I didn't, here's a hand picture).


As you can see, the skin renewal stage is continuing.

It has been a really great weekend, and I have some great mental pictures to share:

1.  Breakfast buffet:  I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed our breakfast this morning.  The food was the same--great!  However, today I was overjoyed to share our breakfast with so many people.  We had Ginnie and her two children (Josh and Zoe), new arrivals to Abu Dhabi.  They were followed by Yang and Juergen--still waiting on their housing (offer pending).  Drica stopped in, as her family has just bought a membership to the Shangri-la hotel, for the beach and pool.  Then, I even saw Amal, who had to rush off to make sure that Alex picked a good table.  There was so much conversation and happy energy at our table--I was buzzing off it for the remainder of the day!

2.  NB S (whom I have also nicknamed 'Smile-ah'--she is so smiley!) is learning to spit.  It's a new thing--she takes her tongue and is actually managed to spray out saliva.  She delights in it, and her bibs are working overtime to compensate.  She turned 6 months this weekend, and we celebrated by giving her a few spoons of coconut water.

3.  On Saturday morning we joined Drica's family (minus Drica, who had to work) poolside.  We had a lovely time, but I have had to talk to myself about loving little A for who she IS--the little girl who loves nothing more than to hang out beside me--instead of trying to push her to be someone she is not (the little girl jumping, screaming and splashing in the pool).

4.  In the afternoon we (I with the help of Malou) managed to sort out the storage closet in the garage, and then we ventured out to Daiso and Lulu at Mushrif Mall.  God--I have GOT to keep away from Daiso (which in my mind is Japanese for "thank-you Japan").  I managed to buy a whole bunch of things (a few of which we actually need) and got a jump start on loot bag items for T N's birthday.

5.  Little A watched "Mulan" for the first time.  We were all pretty tired once we came home on Sunday, and so we figured 'popcorn and a movie'.  Don't ask me how the popcorn burned--I  have made it sooooo many times--but this time the corn all managed to pop without making any NOISES--VERY unusual.  Doesn't it always make noise when it pops?  When I finally lifted the cover on the pot (yes--it's old-fashioned popcorn making for me) to figure out what was taking so long, I was shocked to find a pot full of popcorn--and then of course--the burning smell began.  Though I shut off the heat immediately, it still lingers there (very subtle though) today.

6.  Today I left all three children at home for an hour and went to a book swap.  It was poorly attended, and I actually returned home with less books than I left with.  It was great though, because I managed to spend some time with my Irish friend Sally, whom I met before Smile-ah was born, and sadly have not seen since.  It is great to see how much she has settled into life here (and we were both shaking our heads at how much time has passed since we last got together!).

Little A is feeling a bit under the weather today.  She has a cough which has irritated her throat and now her voice is funny.  I have given her honey and put am trying the vicks-on-your-feet-with-socks home remedy.  She is such a good little sick person.  Doesn't really complain at all.  Hopefully she'll recover by tomorrow.

This is going to be a busy week:
Monday:  speech therapy
Tuesday:  Dance
Wednesday:  Boogie Bears, possible evening coffee visit with Drica & Antonio
Thursday:  AM-visit with Mirha, PM-Dance

I am still going to try and squeeze in a play-date for T N too (I have found a new friend for him--Omar--via Shariza!!).  Let's see--that might have to go to next week.  

No comments: