Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Monday, September 19, 2011

White Birch Tree

I remember learning in one of my classes that the bark of the white birch had been used as paper (or perhaps it was my ancient Indian ancestors working through me), and so, when I was younger, I confess to tormenting these trees in my neighbourhood by slowly peeling back strips of bark of the tree.  I always tried to be slow and gentle, to try and get nice, thick strips to write on (though I don't really remember anything that I actually wrote).  Sometimes, the bark peeled off so very easily--it was nice and dry and crackly--the tree was obviously ready to let it go.  There were other times though, when I could feel the moisture still in the bark, as I flayed back the resistant cover--and I swear I could feel the tree wincing...

I have gained new sympathy for the White Paper Birch Trees.  To all the trees I have stripped in the past (and the ones my children may strip in the future):  mea culpa.



As the skin on my hands is slowly healing, new holes are appearing, with the hardened crazy-glue like skin giving way to soft, pinky skin.  There is the contrast in feelings between the 'old' skin (where I feel nothing) to the 'new' skin (which is raw and very sensitive).  My fingers have all these rough edges on them, and the dry skin catches on EVERYTHING (making diaper changes another kind of torture!!).  YOWCH!!

Today I am feeling much better.  Unlike yesterday, where I spent the entire day in bed (with Malou bringing NB S in for feedings and sleeps).  My body does not ache, I can lift things (including my own head) and I have not been vomiting.  These are all things that make today great.

We (the entourage and I) took T N for his appointment with Drs. Wasti and Zaineb at SKMC.  Dr. Wasti won my heart by asking me why I was bringing such a healthy and intelligent little boy in to see him.  They were very pleased with his progress, and I believe they down-graded the severity of his condition to 'level 3'.  They did write me a referral for a speech therapist, and basically just encouraged me to keep monitoring his progress and to continue to stimulate his growth.  We ended with the 'usual' (follow-up appointment in 6 months), except this time Dr. Wasti made it clear that the skills of the physio department head were no longer required for T N.  However, he told me that if I did want his involvement again, all I had to do was request a referral.

No comments: