Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Who would have ever imagined...

Today, my new friend Yang came over to the house.  She is originally a doctor of sports medicine, from Beijing.  We met her, and her husband Juergen, at our usual breakfast place.  They are temporary residents of the hotel (in transition, while moving here) and hopefully, future residents of Al Raha Gardens.  They are from Germany, and have a daughter who is going into her second year of University (Fidelia).  Like a lot of the European expats around here, they have lived in many places (including a year in Canada), and it is reflected in their open, friendly personalities.

I was told by Juergen that Yang loves children, especially babies, and was first attracted to us because we brought our three to breakfast.  Spending time with her today, I realized that she really LOVES children.  She is probably the most physically affectionate Asian person I have met (with the exception of Peter--or actually--maybe not).  She was so happy to snuggle T N, and even got down to his level to play with him (and she was wearing a long, navy dress, so this was not easily done).  She was happy to let him climb all over her, and laughed when he got his head stuck in the sofa.  When I went to put the older two down for nap-time, she welcomed NB S, and cradled her in her arms and cooed to her softly, trying to get her to relax enough to sleep.

I came downstairs, and I had one those moments, where you step outside of yourself and reflect on the mysterious ways of the world.  Here was this wonderful and kind lady, my new friend, swaying and whispering softly to my  littlest one.  When she was a young woman in China, would she ever have imagined that one day she would be standing in a villa in Abu Dhabi, with an 'Indo-Canadian' girl, rocking her lovely little baby?  Nor would I have ever imagined myself here, in this life:  married to Peter, a 'stay-at-home-mom', with three children, living in a Muslim country.  And yet--I honestly believe that we are all where we are meant to be--that our lives were always meant to converge.  If it didn't happen here, it would have been somewhere else.  Is it true, what they say, that everyone that comes into your life, comes in for a reason?

Before I get too deep and heady--let me just say it was a pleasure to meet and spend some time with Yang. She was so thoughtful that once I had two children down for naps, she quickly got together her things, asked me how to get a taxi and then left, so that I could go and have some rest as well.  She seems like she is a very 'old soul'--and obviously someone that I can learn a thing or two from.

The hands are recovering.  The puss-bubble is almost completely drained, and the itching has mercifully stopped.  Now, once some of my fingers stop feeling like they are covered in crazy-glue, everything will be back to normal.

I THINK I found the culprit.  I feel that perhaps the reading that I've been doing in bed while nursing NB S might be the trigger.  The books are old (and probably dusty) and I'm wondering if the amount of pressure I used to hold the books (at an awkward angle) may have caused the irritation, that triggered the eczema.  All the signs (left hand affected more than right, the blister coincides with where I applied the most pressure holding up the books, fingertips on the right hand have only minor eczema) point to this.  I won't know for sure, but I think I might buy myself a Kindle, just to be safe!

And, it seems that it is raining early babies.  Our friends Mark and Kristy welcomed a baby boy (Kai) on the 8th (almost a month early).  Today, my friend Sharon had her baby (there go the baby shower plans!!)--a girl that they named Lily.


1 comment:

Donna said...

I have thought about that so many times, Anu! It is true, there is a reason for everything that happens to us and for the paths that our lives take. You can accept these things as a gift and learn from them and be happy (as you are) or complain about them and be a miserable person. So far, that is what I have learned. You are very lucky to have met and welcomed so many interesting people into your life! Have I told you lately how much I enjoy reading your blog? :)