Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!!



So far, the only Mother's Day I have celebrated (you know--going out for breakfast or having some special recognition of the day) was my first. When little A was our only child, and Mother's Day rolled around we went out for breakfast TWICE. We took my mother-in-law out for a Saturday morning breakfast at the Blue Plate Diner (and I, of course, organized it, all down to the gift that Peter gave his mom). And then, we had our own mother's day celebration (for MOI), joined by Aum & Chris, at the Hotel MacDonald. I had my usual favourite (two eggs, poached well, on an english muffin, with a side of hollandaise aka eggs benny without the ham.) We were presented with lovely tulips (or was it daffodils..?) outside, from Telus, and we even had our picture taken.


Since then, Mother's Day comes and goes in our home with very little fanfare. Perhaps it is because we are living in a country where Sunday is a work day. Or maybe it is because we are living in a country with people from all over the world who celebrate Mother's Day on a different date (I believe the Brits celebrate it in April). Regardless--to quote Kipper the dog "nothing ever really happens" in our household for Mother's Day.

Baby One: always ready for a belly rub

This year my first Mother's Day exchanges were with Malou (my helper), who realized after looking on the calendar that it was Mother's Day. Then, little A, upon hearing her jumps up from the breakfast and says "MOTHER'S DAY!! We got you a card!! It's on the shelf above the swim stuff!". She grabs her step and takes it over to the shelf and returns deflated--it wasn't there! She asked me whether I had moved it (and I had not). I told her we would find it when Papa came home. After which, she promptly forgot about it. Little A and I did spend some quality time, looking through old family photos and videos (courtesy of the Camera Roll on my iphone), and it was sweet to see how much she enjoyed looking at how our family has changed (since I have last downloaded pics from my iphone--so about a year).


Baby two with Baby Antonio

I made (and yes--I really did have to push her to do it, as I think she felt bad using my computer, though I regularly tell she is welcome to it) Malou skype her children in the Philippines, so that they could send her good wishes. She was pleased to catch them before bedtime, and sat with baby N and little A. I asked her whether she thought this was a good idea--sitting with MY children for mother's day, while hers are far away and being looked after by someone else. She told me her children had been asking to see my little ones for some time. Afterwards, she said they really enjoyed staring at baby N (obviously the most cooperative skyper). She told me they liked his nose a lot, as it was long (like mine) and very much unlike the flat Filippino nose that they are used to seeing (her words, not mine).

Baby Three: long nose...?

Then I figured it was time to send Mother's Day wishes to the mother's that came before me (my mom and Peter's mom). Only my mom was on-line however, and so we spent a few minutes sending some skype love her way. It could only have been more enjoyable if my brother got better speakers for his computer, or hearing aids for my parents.

Sometime, in the wee hours when I was sleeping, Peter sent me a Mother's Day text from New York (which I received the next morning).

And that was that--Mother's Day 2011 done.


Baby four

Sending some Mother's Day love your way!



No comments: