Salam wa aleikum




....thanks for coming to read my blog.


I hope that you will enjoy keeping in touch with our lives, and that one day, you might even make the trek out to come and visit with us (**NB - VISA's upon arrival for Canadians once again!!).

Grab yourself a nice cup of tea (Make mine JTG's Blue Mountain, mixed with a hint of French Earl...but get something that suits your fancy), and let's catch up...

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sin City


Las Vegas--oh how I LOVE it! Don't get me wrong--I could do without the smoking, the gambling and the legalized prostitution. But the weather, the amazing hotels, the delicious food, the energy--it's definitely one of my top 10 places to go.

So, I have been very jealous that Peter will be jetting off to Vegas to our friend Raj's stag (SURPRISE RAJ!!). Not only will he be getting to see all of his friends, but he will be able to do it in one of the most vibrant and alive places in the world. Austin Power's states it best: "It's Vegas baby, yeah!".

While he parties it up with old friends, I will be shlumping around here in Abu Dhabi. Though we share many similarities (high temperatures, sand, excessive spending), they are worlds apart.

However, after giving it some thought, I realized that my life is pretty much Vegas 24/7. Don't believe me? Let's analyse this.

1. Sleep--or lack there of.

In the past, I was usually the only one who was interested in picking a nice hotel room to sleep in. Why? Well, 'the boys' (as I like to refer to this group of men, now in their mid-30s) generally pick the cheapest room, and pack into it like sardines. I will be honest and confess that cheapness IS a factor. However, they also figure that many of them will only USE the room for bathroom breaks, showers and an hour or two of sleep here and there. So they think "why pay for a luxury you will never use?"

Some of them like my pal 'THE MACHINE' (if he decides to bring himself out for the party) will come in for a few minutes around 2 or 3 a.m. and toss and turn a bit in the bed. While he is there, he will get so juiced up thinking about all the potential hands he could be winning, that he'll get right back up and head out the door again. Usually, when we pick him up on our way to the breakfast buffet, he is bleary-eyed and still grinding it out.

My life is pretty similar. I have a wonderful and amazing Tempur-pedic mattress (I believe I've mentioned her before). The older two children are tucked in by 8 pm, and it's all 'me-time' then. You would think that I would luxuriate in long restful sleeps. Not so, not so, I say. I sleep in short 1-2 hour naps. It seems that I will just hit the dream-state, only to be interrupted by the gassy baby next to me who wants some milk. When I wake up in the morning to begin the next day, the clock lets me know that I only just went to sleep two hours ago.

So--as far as sleep is concerned--I'm living la vida Vegas!

2. Crazy Vegas Shows

I've only seen one show in Vegas. It was entertaining, but not one of the BIG shows (not Celine, or Siegfried and Roy, or the Blue Man Group, or any of the Cirque productions). This time it is because I am cheap (not across the board--but as far as Vegas shows are concerned, yes). However, no one can deny, Vegas is known for its over-the-top shows.

I have been watching a lot of shows here myself: My Little Pony, Barbapapa, Mickey Mouse Club...all good stuff! Every meal, it's SHOW-TIME! And another show must go on.

The traditional Vegas show has music, singing, dancing and (don't forget) topless girl dancers. I am a little uncomfortable with watching that. I have heard from many that after a while you don't even notice the breasts. Then I am just left to wonder: if nobody is noticing them, why don't they just wear a top?

Anyways, I also get to enjoy many special performances (with elaborate choreography) like this one:




3. Poopy pants

The title alone will bring back some disgusting flashbacks for some of 'the boys'. In Vegas, when someone has too much to drink, they sometimes end up with Poopy pants. In my house, Poopy pants can be attributed to many things: too much milk, teething, stomach bug...the list is endless. Regardless of the cause, someone has to clean these Poopy pants--and it's usually me.

I know Poopy pants are not a part of everyone's Vegas experience, but they are a part of the treasured memories for my 'boys' and Vegas. And they sure are a part of my DAILY experience, right here (and frankly, where ever I go for at least the next 4 years).

In case anyone is confused who the Poopy pants belong to in my house, these two are currently the worst offenders:


If you're wondering about the Poopy Pants in Vegas...well, what happens in Vegas STAYS in Vegas!

4. Fabulous Shopping

So, it's NOT the outlet malls where you can pick up so many fabulous things for fabulous prices. However, I have already made ONE trip to the Pink Shops this week (16th street, KCA), and I can tell you, that you can find almost everything you need there. I went looking for strawberries and came out with bags of peaches, nectarines and plums!! Groceries, restaurants, clothing, electronics, passport photos, salons, pharmacies--you need it--you can probably find it at the Pink Shops!! (Just don't go between 2 & 5 as most of the specialty shops are closed--and be mindful of the smells and gobs of phlegm on the sidewalk). Also, like Vegas the shops stay open late, and you can walk around on 'the strip' at night surrounded by millions (exaggeration) of people on the pavement (although most of them are Indian laborers who don't wear deodorant--thus--the smells I mentioned earlier).


So--see--I don't have to GO to Vegas--I LIVE Vegas!!

Hoping the boys have a safe trip and win big!

Peter:
Mama needs a hell of a lot more
than just a new pair of shoes!
So, please--let's know when to hold 'em,
and know when to fold 'em.

XX

No comments: